To cite this article
Luigi Maxmilian Caligiuri, Amrit Sorli, Special Theory of Relativity Postulated on Homogeneity of Space and Time and on Relativity Principle,
In Special Theory of Relativity time is considered to be the 4th dimension of space – time as a consequence of Lorentz invariance and Minkowski metric, in turn based on the invariance of light speed . In this paper we’ll show that, starting only from universal postulates as homogeneity of space and time and Principle of Relativity, we can obtain space and time transformations (as the Lorentz and Tangherlini – Selleri ones) characterized by an invariant speed generally different than . These results determine crucial difficulties in the assumption of Minkowski metric and consequently in the interpretation of physical time as the 4th component of space – time, also introducing a “relativity” feature in the velocity of light in vacuum being no longer considerable as a necessarily universal invariant quantity and depending on the physical properties of space which originate from quantum vacuum. A novel interpretation of time, coherent with these results, defined as duration of material change in space, i.e. motion, is finally proposed.
Special Theory of Relativity, Time, Space, Invariance, Homogeneity, Relativity Principle, Quantum Vacuum
- Einstein A., An elementary derivation of the equivalence of mass and energy. Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society. 41, 223-230 (1935).
- Ignatowsi W. V., Einige allgemeine Bemerkungen zum Relativitatsprinzip. Phys. Zeits. 11, 972 – 967 (1910).
- Torretti R., Relativity and Geometry. Pergamon Press , Oxford (1983).
- Brown H., Physical Relativity: Space – time structure form a dynamical perspective. Clarendon Press, Oxford (2005).
- Tangherlini F. R., The velocity of light in uniformly moving frame. PhD Thesis, Stanford Univ., Sept. 1958, 135 pages.
- Tangherlini F. R., Light travel times around a closed universe. Nuovo Cim., 1994, v. B109, 929 – 951.
- Tangherlini F. R., An introduction to the General Theory of Relativity. Suppl. Nuovo Cim., 1961, Ser. X, v. 20 , 1 – 86.
- Selleri F., Space, Time and their transformations. Chinese Journal of Systems, Engineering and Electronics, 6, 25 – 44 (1995).
- Selleri F., Noninvariant One – Way velocity of light. Foundation of Physics, 26(5), 641 – 664 (1996).
- Selleri F., The Inertial Transformation and the Relativity Principle. Foundations of Physics, 18, 325 – 339 (2005).
- Shapiro I., Fourth Test of General Relativity. Phys. Rev. Lett. 13, 789-791 (1964)
- Pal P. B., Nothing but relativity. Eur. J. Phys. 24, 315 – 319 (2003).
- Garay L. J., Quantum gravity and minimum length. International Journal of Modern Physics A 10, 145 (1995).
- Adler R. J. and Santiago D. L., On gravity and the uncertainty principle. Modern Physics Letters A 14, 1371 – 1378 (1999).
- Caligiuri L.M., The emergence of Spacetime and Gravity: Entropic or Geometro – Hydrodynamic process ? A comparison and critical review. To appear in Quantum Matter, v. 3, 1 – 7 (2014).
- Calmet X., Hossenfelder S., Percacci R., Deformed Special Relativity from Asymptotically Safe Gravity. Phys. Rev. D82: 124024 (2010).
- Rindler W., Introduction to Special Relativity. Oxford University Press, Oxford (1982).
- Sorli A., Fiscaletti D. Special theory of relativity in a three-dimensional Euclidean space. Physics Essays: March 2012, Vol. 25, No. 1, pp. 141-143. (2012).
- Duffy M., Levy J. eds., Ether space – time & cosmology. Apeiron, Montreal, vol. 3 (2009).
- Wilczek F., Two Applications of Axion Electrodynamics. Phys. Rev. Lett. 58 (18), 1799 – 1802 (1987).
- Silkivie P., Dark matter axions. ArXiv: 0909.0949v1 (2009).
- Urban M. et al., The Quantum Vacuum as the origin of the speed of light. Eur. Phys. J. D. 67(58) , 2013.
- Leuch G., Sanchez – Soto L. L., A sum rule for charged elementary particles. Eur. Phys. J. D. 67 (57), 2013.
- Bolotovskii B. M., Ginzburg V. L., The Vavilov – Cerenkov effect and the Doppler effect in the motion of sources with superluminal velocity in vacuum. Soviet Physics Uspekhi, v. 15, n. 2, 184 – 192 (1972).
- Nikitin A. G., Kuriksha O., Symmetries of field equations of axion electrodynamics, Phys. Rev. D 86, 025010 (2012) (12p). arXiv:1201.4935.
- Malykin G. B., The Sagnac effect: correct and incorrect explanations. Physics – Uspekhi, v. 43, n. 12, 1229 – 1252 (2000).
- Barbour J., The Nature of Time. ArXiv: 0903.3489v1 (2009).
- Li Xin-Li, Must Time Machine Be Unstable against Vacuum Fluctuations?, Class.Quant.Grav. 13 (1996) 2563-2568, arXiv:gr-qc/9703024v1.
- Wisser M. The quantum physics of chronology protection, arXiv:gr-qc/0204022v2 (2002)
- Feynman R.P., The Theory of Positrons, Phys. Rev. 76, 749–759 (1949).