To cite this article
Misganaw Birhaneselassie, David Williams, A Study of Salmonella Carriage among Asymptomatic Food-Handlers in Southern Ethiopia,
Background: Salmonella is the most frequently reported cause of food borne illness in Ethiopia. Objective: The aim of this study was to screen food handlers in the Dilla area of Southern Ethiopia and to assess the scale of carriage of Salmonella species and to offer prophylaxis followed by re-testing and advice on personal and food hygiene as appropriate. Method: Stool samples were collected from a total of 107 food handlers from various establishments in the area. Enrichment culture using Selenite broth and sub-culture on to Deoxycholate Citrate agar was used followed by identification to genus level by use of a commercially available biochemical kit and polyvalent antisera. Result: Salmonella was isolated from one food handler only and this person could not be traced having left her employment and not having left a forwarding address. Conclusion: As food poisoning is a main issue in Ethiopia further epidemiological research, to monitor those found to be infected is mandatory.
Salmonella, Screening, Food handlers, Asymptomatic
- World Health Organization Manual for the laboratory identification and antimicrobial susceptibility testing of bacterial pathogens of public health importance in the developing world. Geneva: WHO; 2003: 382-381.
- Lanata CF, Tafur C, Benavente L, Gotuzzo E, Camllo C. Detection of Salmonella typhi carriers in food handlers by vi serology in Lim, a Peru. Bull Pan Am Health Organ 1990; 24(2):177-82.
- al-Lahham AB, Abdu- Saud M,Shehabi AA. Prevalence of Salmonella, Shigella and Intestinal parasites in food handlers in Irbid, Jordan. J Diarrhoeal Dis Res 1990; 8(4); 160-2.
- World health organization. Health surveillance and management procedures of food-handling personnel. Geneva: WHO; 1989. p. 7-36.
- Senthikumar B, Prabakaran G. Multi drug Resistant salmonella typhi in Asymptomatic Typhoid carriers among food handlers in Namakkal District, Tamil Nadu. Indian J Med Microbiology 2005; 23:92-94.
- Muleta D, Ashenafi M. Salmonella, Shigella and growth potential of other food- borne pathogens in Ethiopia street vended foods. East African Medical Journal 78 (I I) November 2001
- World Health Organization. International Travel and Health: WHO, 2010
- Andargie G, Kassu A, Moges F, Tiruneh M, Henry K. Prevalence of Bacteria and Intestinal Parasites among Food-handlers in Gondar town, North West Ethiopia. J Health Popul Nutr 2008; 26(4):451-455.
- Abera B, Biadegelgen F, Bezabih B. Prevalence of Salmonella typhi and intestinal parasites among food handlers in Bahir Dar Town, Northwest Ethiopia. Ethiop. J. Health Dev 2010; 24(1)
- Yismaw G, Negeri C, Kassu A, Tiruneh M and Mulu A. Antimicrobial resistance pattern of Salmonella isolates from Gondar University Hosipital, North West Ethiopia. Ethiop Pharm J 2007; 25(2):85-90.
- Catherine E, Woteki, Sandra L, Facinoli, Daniel S. Keep Food Safe to Eat Healthful food must be safe as well as nutritious. J. Nutr 2001; 1319 (2) 502-509.
- PK Feglo, EH Frimpong, M Essel- Ahun. Salmonellae carrier status of food vendor in kumasi, Ghana. East African Medical Journal 2004; 81(7):358-361.
- Desta M. "Prevalence of Salmonella and Shigella among Food Handlers in Catering Establishments in Hawassa University, Hawassa, Ethiopia, Addis Ababa University 2010’’ unpublished.
- Clinical Medicine Research
- American Journal of Nursing Science
- Journal of Food and Nutrition Sciences
- American Journal of Sports Science
- International Journal of Medical Imaging
- Cancer Research Journal
- Science Journal of Clinical Medicine
- Science Journal of Public Health
- American Journal of Internal Medicine
- Journal of Surgery
- American Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medicine
- Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- Advances in Surgical Sciences
- Journal of Anesthesiology
- International Journal of Biomedical Science and Engineering
- European Journal of Preventive Medicine
- American Journal of Psychiatry and Neuroscience
- Journal of Cancer Treatment and Research
- American Journal of Biomedical and Life Sciences
- American Journal of Health Research
- International Journal of Immunology
- International Journal of Clinical Pediatric Surgery
- International Journal of Homeopathy & Natural Medicines
- Central African Journal of Public Health
- International Journal of HIV/AIDS Prevention, Education and Behavioural Science
- Journal of Drug Design and Medicinal Chemistry
- Journal of Oncology Research and Experimental Medicine
- International Journal of Dental Medicine
- International Journal of Clinical and Experimental Medical Sciences
- International Journal of Food Engineering and Technology
- Journal of Health and Environmental Research
- International Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Clinical Science
- Women's Medicine
- European Journal of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences
- Journal of Diseases and Medicinal Plants
- International Journal of Clinical and Developmental Anatomy
- RNA and Transcription
- Gene and Cell Therapy
- International Clinical Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- International Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
- International Journal of Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy
- International Journal of Otorhinolaryngology
- American Journal of Biological and Environmental Statistics
- Journal of Family Medicine and Health Care
- International Journal of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery
- American Journal of Pediatrics
- International Journal of Pharmacy and Chemistry
- Advances in Sciences and Humanities
- Emergency Medicine