(44 Views since June 14, 2014)
To cite this article
Lubaale Yovani A. Moses, Orphans and Vulnerable Children (OVC) in Uganda; Are Orphans More Malnourished Than Non-Orphans,
Many scholars and policy makers have often said that orphaned children are more vulnerable than any other children within the same environment in which they live. This paper compared the nutrition status of orphans and non-orphans to see if orphans were more malnourished and if not to investigate factors affecting nutrition of children. It is based on the 2006 Uganda Demographic and Health Survey data. The analysis compared orphans and non-orphaned children in relation to the three anthropometric measures of underweight, stunting and wasting limiting itself to -2SD. The findings indicated that orphans (wasting-33.1%, underweight-17.0% and stunted-5.9%) were not more malnourished than non-orphans (wasting-39.2%, underweight-17.2% and stunted-6.5%). Results showed that maternal orphans (48.2%) are affected more in terms of nutritional indicators at least in the short term than paternal orphans (29.0%). The most important determinant on nutrition was the household wealth index and level of education of the mother for children living with their mothers in the same households.
OVC, Non-Orphans, Stunted, Wasted, Underweight, Malnutrition, Uganda
- WHO (2012) Children: reducing mortality, Fact sheet N°178; http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs178/en/index.html
- Khan A. A, Bano Nazli and Abdus Salam (2007) ‘Child malnutrition in South Asia: A comparative perspective,’ South Asian Survey Vol: 14; 129-145
- Ntozi J.P.M and Khumalo T. (2009) Effects of HIV/AIDS on children in Swaziland: is the extended family coping? (Also available online uaps2007.princeton.edu/sessionViewer.aspx?sessionId=505)
- Alwang J., Siegel P.B. and Jorgensen L.S. (2001) Vulnerability: A view from different disciplines. Social Protection Discussion Paper series No. 115, The world bank http://www.worldbank.org/sp.
- Holzmann, R. and Jorgensen S. (1999) "Social Protection as Social Risk Management: Conceptual Underpinnings for Social Protection Sector Strategy Paper." Social Protection Discussion Paper No. 9904. The World Bank: Washington, D.C. www.worldbank.org/sp
- Kaare Suma (2005) Targeting the chronic poor: Lesson from the OVC programme in Tanzania, Economic and social research foundation (ESRF)
- Uganda Bureau of Statistics, UBOS (2006) "Compendium of Statistical Concepts and Definitions used in the Uganda Statistical System and Services" volume iii Kampala Uganda.
- International HIV/AIDS alliance (2003) Supporting community action on AIDS in developing countries www.aidsalliance.org/includes/Publication/BBE_Social_inclusion.pdf
- Deinings Klaus, Marito G. and Subbarao K. (2003) "AIDS-Induced Orphanhood as a Systemic Shock: Magnitude, Impact, and Program Interventions in Africa." World Development, vol. 31 (7): 1201-1220
- Zimbabwe Ministry of Health report (2004), Harare Zimbabwe
- Ayieko M.A. (1997) From Single Parents to Child-headed Households: The Case of Children Orphaned by AIDS in Kisumu and Siaya Districts.
- WHO (2006a) Multicentre growth reference study 2006 Geneva: WHO
- WHO (2006b) Child Vulnerability and AIDS, case studies from Southern Africa; Stuart Gillespie International Food security Institute, September 2006
- Foster, G., Shakespeare R., Chinemana F., Jackson H., Gregson S., Marange C., and Mashum¬ba S. (1995) "Orphan Prevalence and Extended Family Care in a Peri-urban Community in Zimbabwe." AIDS Care 7(1): 3-17
- Ntozi, J.P.M and Zirimenya (1999) Changes in household composition and family structure during the AIDS epidemic in Uganda The Continuing African HIV/AIDS Epidemic: 193-209
- Kim A. Lindblade, Odhiambo F., Rosen D. H., Kevin M. DeCock (2003) Health and nutritional status of orphans <6 years old cared for by relatives in western Kenya Tropical Medicine & International Health 8 (1), 67–72.
- Uganda Bureau of Statistics (UBOS) and Macro International (2007). The 2006 Uganda Demographic and Health Survey
- Cogill, B. (2003) Anthropometric Indicators Measurement Guide. Food and Nutrition Technical Assistance Project, Academy for Educational Development, Washington, D.C., 2003 (available on line 20th Jan 2010 www.fantaproject.org/downloads/pdfs/anthro_2003.pdf)