Regression Analysis to Estimate Enset (Enset Ventricosum (Welw.) Cheesman) Kocho Yield from Vegetative Linear Dimensions
Journal of Plant Sciences
Volume 2, Issue 1, February 2014, Pages: 43-49
Received: Dec. 25, 2013; Published: Feb. 20, 2014
Views 3066      Downloads 176
Author
MikiasYeshitila Haile, Department of Plant and Horticultural Sciences, College of Agriculture, Hawassa University, Awassa, Ethiopia
Article Tools
PDF
Follow on us
Abstract
The objective of this research was to develop multiple regression models which will enable to predict kocho yield from linear dimensions of enset considering different clones. The experiment was carried out at Areka Agricultural Research on-station site on a total number of 328 enset clones from the six major enset growing areas of Southern Ethiopia (59, 46, 49, 44, 49, and 81 from Gofa, Guragie, Wolaita, Sidamo, Dawro and Kembata respectively).Plant height and pseudostem circumference were found out to be the best non-destructive enset kocho yield predictors. The R2 value for estimating fermented unsqueezed kocho yield was about 0.78 with the equation FUNK= -26.12 + 5.43 PH + 20.05 PSC describing the relationship of fermented un-squeezed kocho as a function of enset plant height and pseudostem circumference measurements. From the slope of linear relation line which was forced through the origin the amount of kocho in un-squeezed kocho is about 69% and the rest 31% will be the moisture. In an attempt to estimate fiber yield from measurements of the vegetative parameters, none of the regression relationships gave a significant result.
Keywords
Regression Model, Enset, Kocho, Moisture Content and Dry Matter
To cite this article
MikiasYeshitila Haile, Regression Analysis to Estimate Enset (Enset Ventricosum (Welw.) Cheesman) Kocho Yield from Vegetative Linear Dimensions, Journal of Plant Sciences. Vol. 2, No. 1, 2014, pp. 43-49. doi: 10.11648/j.jps.20140201.18
References
[1]
Endale T. 1997. Morphological characterization of enset (Enset ventricosum(Welw.) Cheesman) clones and the association of yield with different traits. MSc Thesis, Alemaya University of Agriculture, Alemaya, Ethiopia, p 89.
[2]
Central Statistical Authority and Ministry of Agriculture. 1994. Area production and yield of crops, private holdings, 1993/1994 Meher season, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
[3]
Mulgeta D, Mikias Y, Ermias T, Endale T. 2008. Enset agronomy. In Gebremedhin WG (ed). Root and Tuber Crops the Untapped Resources. 2008, EIAR, Ethiopia195-208.
[4]
FAO. 1994. Crop and food supply assessment mission. Annual Report for the period 1993/94. Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
[5]
Shank R, Chernet E. 1996. Enset crop assessment: A Linear Model for Predicting Enset Yield and Assessment of Kocho Production. Addis Ababa: UN Emergencies Unit for Ethiopia and World Food Program. Manuscript on File.
[6]
Ethiopian Mapping Authority. 1988. National Atlas of Ethiopia (1st. ed). BerhanenaSelam Printing Press, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
[7]
Asrat A,Hailu A, Shewangizaw T. 1991. Meteorological data for IAR centers. Sub-centers and trail sites. Miscellaneous Pub. No. 1, IAR, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
[8]
Hailu A, Shewangizaw T, KumlachewA. 1993. Agro-meteorological data summery. 1992 and term monthly mean. IAR, Nazreth, Ethiopia.
[9]
Murphey H.F. 1959. Soils of Ethiopia: A report on the fertility status of some soils of Ethiopia. Experiment Station Bull. No. 1. Imperial Ethiopia College of Agriculture and Mechanical Arts, Alemaya, Ethiopia
[10]
Mulugeta D. 1996. Manual on production and utilization of enset in South and South Western Ethiopia. Joint publication of SNNPRG and ECA, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
[11]
Kefale A, Stephen S. 1991. Enset in North Omo region, Farmer’s Research Project Technical Pamphlet No.1. Farm Africa, Addis Abeba, Ethiopia.49pp.
[12]
Teketel M. 1976. A study on the yield of enset. Proceedings of the 6th Annual Research Seminar, 12-14 November 1975, IAR, Addis Ababa.
ADDRESS
Science Publishing Group
1 Rockefeller Plaza,
10th and 11th Floors,
New York, NY 10020
U.S.A.
Tel: (001)347-983-5186